Monday, July 12, 2010

Steal This Idea: Media Library

I have a lot of different media in my life that I want to track. I have document files of all sorts (word docs, text files, pdf files, epubs, etc), photos, videos, and music. I want to be able to organize them all in one place, tag them all, search them all, and display them all. I want it to be a web interface, and I want to be able to set up my own server hosting it. I want the files to be something that can be read by way of a plugin library, so that I can easily add support for unknown formats in future. I want it to support external sites using it (so that I can tell youtube to pull from it, or tell my ebook reader to pull from it, etc). It should support OPDS for textual information (epub, html, mobi, pdf, doc, etc), and Gallery 2's remote protocol for visual media (videos, photos). Since I'm a Python and TurboGears fan, I'd love it to be written in TurboGears.

No comments: