Friday, July 30, 2010

Steal This Idea: Electronic Emergency Preparedness Kit

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, I remember reading somewhere about a person who recommended a full electronic version of important documents, stashed them on a USB key, and stashed the USB key into his emergency kit. I'm looking at my Android based smart phone and saying "Wait, why not use this?" I'd want any program to have top-notch encryption and allow me to store any images I choose. This would allow me to store mine (and my family members') driver licenses, marriage certificate, home ownership papers, birth certificate, social security cards, everything. Of course, all of these would need to be encrypted. This would help to ensure that, in the event of an emergency where I lose all of those originals, I could use the information on my phone to at least find out the things I need to get them replaced, and restore my life.

No comments: