Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In Praise of MythTV Developers

I use MythTV, and have done so for a very long time. I think that, right now, we're looking at about 7 1/2 years. I have no intention of giving it up, it's just too useful.

Just two weeks ago, I got my new phone, a Samsung Galaxy S. Beautiful phone. It supports using DLNA to stream video. DLNA, it turns out, is a subset of UPnP. MythTV, it turns out, has had a UPnP server built into it for a long time.

So, in theory, I should be able to stream from MythTV to my phone. The reality wasn't so great. I tried, sproadically, for about a week. Then, on Monday night, I decided to get serious. I did all the groundwork to find out what was going on, and found out that MythTV had a problem.

I submitted a bug report, and included all of the details that I knew, including purpose, what I had done, everything. Tuesday night? By the end of the night, we had a working patch for MythTV that will be included in their next release. That same patch works against the version that ships with Ubuntu.

I can stream from MythTV to my phone without a problem. And the MythTV folks fixed my problem within 24 hours. That's seriously amazing work guys.

Thank you. May you continue to enjoy the success you have so far, and may ever more of it come your way.

2 comments:

fast_yzfr1 said...

I am having the same trouble you did... How do I install the patch to fix this? Sorry, I am noob at patches for mythtv. Thanks!

Michael Pedersen said...

Check out http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8678

Towards the bottom of the original report, you'll see a segment of commands that starts with this:

apt-get source mythtv

Download the patch I linked, then run those commands, and everything should come together nicely.