Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What To Do When It's Time To Find A New Maintainer

This post is going to ramble a bit, and I apologize. Almost two years ago, I got an Asus EEE 901 netbook. This is a great little device, letting me have a highly portable laptop style computer. I then got the idea to use it for GeoCaching, and wrote Cache 901. The problem I face now is that it's time for me to hand Cache 901 over to somebody else.

When I wrote that program, GeoCaching was something that would be done every couple of months. We'd go out, find a couple caches, have some fun while doing so, record them, and get back on with our lives. Since then, something's changed, and we haven't done it for over a year by now at all. Since we're not GeoCaching, and it doesn't look like it will happen again anytime soon, I've stopped working on Cache 901.

Now, Cache 901 is a good program, and fairly popular (as of now, it's been downloaded nearly 900 times so far this year). I don't want the program to die. I also don't want to be responsible for taking it to the next level. I want to hand it off to somebody else. I want it to become active again. The worst part is that I don't know how to find someone to take it over.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

No comments: